Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Thought

I woke up this morning, feeling sick. This time not because of my crazy body but because thoughts kept running through my mind. You've probably had similar thoughts. "What if the cap and trade bill passes the Senate?" I couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up. All morning I keep thinking, "What if the cap and trade bill passes the Senate?" PLEASE call your senators and tell them to vote no.

Don't know what the cap and trade bill is? There's lots of places to read about it on the internet. Here's the simple version. Government increases taxes majorly on energy companies. Energy companies have to raise prices ridiculously. People in the House defeated any ability to stop the cap and trade bill if gas reaches $5 a gallon, unemployment goes up past 15% or any other such inconvenience. Right now, a ridiculous amount of our money goes to taxes. With this bill, much more will now disappear from our hands. People will start hoarding money and stop buying. Yes, good job. Way to stimulate the economy.

I realize that the bill is more complicated than that. But really, don't leave a comment trying to tell me it's a good thing. It really is not a good thing. It really is scary. It really is going to hurt our economy even more. So really. Don't bother.

PLEASE go to a TEA Party this Saturday and protest the outrageous spending of our government which cannot ultimately help our economy. It's insane.

Oh, for more fun reading, look up REEP cap and trade on Google. Read how in the bill it specifically says that any building with air conditioning (meaning your house) has to have a roof that reflects solar energy before it can be sold. So you want to sell your house? Better start saving for a new roof. If 300,000 houses get retrofitted every year for ten years, it will save us a whole ten days worth of oil in that decade. Wow. What help.

And before you tell me how important the environment is, let me say that I believe conservation is important. I don't think we should mindlessly use our resources until they're gone and just leave garbage behind. But crippling the economy is NOT the way to do it.

Okay, stepping off my soapbox.

3 comments:

Svedi Pie said...

I am very concerned with the ridiculous amount of spending the govt is doing, plans on doing and in turn forces us to do. Like govt health-plan. I was just reading that Medicaid says that in order to be fiscally stable (currently right now, not including all of the new plans the president has) they would need a 245% increase in the money they take from us or decrease spending by 52%. Does that seem fair? I'm paying for your health insurance and mine?!? Of course Craig and I would never qualify for Medicaid because we're legally married and both working (I have a friend whose sister refuses to get married to her babydaddy because if she does she'll lose medicaid) That bothers me, a lot. This Saturday you say? I'm going to look this up - in this current state I honestly don't think that I can celebrate this great nation on Independence Day.

Svedi Pie said...

I just wrote to the CA Senators to not vote for it. :) I feel a little better.

Kristy Lynne said...

It is very easy to write to your senator. It takes a minute to google then write and send. No paper. No stamp. No envelope sitting in your house with good intentions.

just do it. Every person who writes is worth 1,000 people in the senators eyes. Why do you think liberals get so much of their way?

Oops. I used your blog as a soap box.