Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Well... She's not my biological aunt.

I've already written this post and trashed it. It's very difficult to write about Aunt Mona and give a good picture. Let's just put it this way. I introduce her as my aunt, although to anyone who knows my family well, they might get a short explanation of not being biologically related to her.

I started getting to know Aunt Mona when I was a pre-teen and she taught sign language classes. She was Sister Z. then. A couple years later, our families started to hang out. Before long, we (our families) were inseparable. We spent Family Home Evenings together (Monday nights), went on trips together during school vacations, did lots and lots of talent shows, played games, all sorts.... ;)

Aunt Mona always treated me with the respect I didn't deserve. And I loved her for it. I knew I could express my opinions and thoughts to her because they mattered to her. (Even if she did get a good laugh out of them later, I would never know.) She gave me responsibilities that encouraged me to act more responsible for her trust. Other than my parents, she was one of the most formative adults in my youth.

Aunt Mona has all sorts of talents and attributes and skills... It would take hours to draw a portrait of her. She has a blog where you might start to get to know her, although she's on hiatus for the summer. Here it is.

I sure am lucky to call her friend.

4 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

I don't know her as well as you do, but I've come to know her as pretty amazing. I'm glad you "introduced" us to each other earlier!

Kaylynn said...

She is an amazing woman. You deserved a lot of respect as a young person--I knew that as soon as I met you!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Did we take the sign language class together? I can't remember.

Sara Lyn said...

Yep. We took that sign language class together. I don't actually remember you from it though. [cough, cough] I mostly hung out with Lauren.