Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Nod to Greatness

Okay, I'm taking a little break from introducing you to each other just for this post. Don't worry. I haven't given up. (And have you seen our two new friends?) Last night, I discovered something and just had to post about it.

Last night, I was playing the piano and feeling my inadequacies. For someone so "talented," I sure do stink. :) (Not fishing for compliments here.) I was asking Morgan how in the world people play so lightly. Instead of saying, "But honey, you play lighter than a mosquito lands," he showed me this.



Did you see how lightly he played?! Wow! He is so incredible to watch. What a talented man. He collected folk music, wrote music, was a conductor and an obviously accomplished pianist.

So last night, after Morgan showed me that, I showed him one of my favorite clips of a pianist. Now, this one's a little bit longer, but in appreciation of greatness, take five minutes to watch this man play. (And yes, Morgan says he's probably really playing most of the other instruments you see him playing.)



I think my very favorite part is 2:15 into it. Just gorgeous playing. He has so much control! Doesn't he make that look so easy? I could watch him for hours.

Glad to have shared this amazingness with you.

4 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets the "talented" comment and yet feel that I am such a flawed player! Of course, I could never compare myself to players such as these. This is a world I will never reach, but do enjoy such talent. (Thanks for sharing!) Instead, I tend to compare myself to talents like my sister's and yours. On vacation, my uncle was telling me something I know, but just have a hard time implementing--to not compare myself with others. Because any such comparison is unfair to all involved.

pcNut said...

I also enjoyed the Gershwin piece at 3:00 minutes and at 3:34 :) Happiness:) Thanks for sharing!

Sara Lyn said...

Heidi - I agree. That not-compare thing is really hard. I rather stink at it. :) But I'm glad I can appreciate others' talents.

Sarah - you are SO RIGHT! Those are great spots too.

Kristy Lynne said...

Wow. I'm so impressed at how relaxed both of them are!