Saturday, July 11, 2009

Little Bro

Okay, for those of you who don't obsessively check my blog every day (I know there's probably one or two of you), sorry about all the reading. But I'm just so excited to introduce everyone. I know some of the finest people on this earth and you would all love each other. But I guess if you don't want to read every post, you really don't have to. (But you should.) :)

Okay, so now to my little brother David. [That's right punctuation, right? Because I have more than one little brother, there should be no comma? I hate commas.] One of my less sketchy memories as a child is of the day my little brother was born. Part of it was traumatic. (For a five year old. Give me a break.) The other part was really sweet. David was born on a Sunday. As we children lined up for Primary, Dad came to tell us he was taking Mom to the hospital to have the baby, so we were to go home with the Petersons. So we went home with the Petersons. Then the phone rang. I actually remember exactly what their house looked like when it came to where the phone was. Funny memory, huh? Mom specifically wanted to talk to me, which made me feel special. The reason was, though, that she had thought David would be a girl. (Only baby she was wrong on.) That was the traumatic part. I was so excited for my first sister! So Mom wanted to tell me that he was boy, but that he was very sweet, and I would absoluuutely adore him. (Can anyone name that movie?) I got to meet him I believe the next day. Grandma took us to the hospital. Mom was right. He was the sweetest baby. I got to hold him and fell in love right there.

Other memories of David... (Sorry, David. Hope this isn't too embarrassing.) He really loved his pacifier. His favorite way to suck on it was upside down. I remember many fun times twisting it in his mouth so it would be right side up. He would use his tongue to turn it back over the way he liked it.

Another strong memory of David is driving him places in the car. David had started to play on the drums and wanted to work on his beat. So in the car, we would turn on the radio and I would drill him. Find the beat. Where's the first beat of the measure? What time signature are we in? Where are the other strong beats? I also loved singing with him in the car. He had a knack for hearing harmonies I couldn't. I was impressed by that.

I could go on and on. About when he visited right before he went into the MTC. About the day he came home from his mission. Hanging out with him at college. David is now getting married. Is that possible? I can't wait to meet his fiance! But it will be slightly surreal that my baby brother is old enough for that.

6 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

The punctuation is right. Whether or not there he is your only little brother. Because adding "little brother" to the name makes it all one name. If that makes sense. Either way, I'm glad you don't like commas since about 90% of people use them incorrectly! All right, editor signing off.

Other thoughts: Not sure of the movie quote, though I'm hearing something of the like. You two are as far apart in age as my sister and me. And, I figured that if David is part of your family, he has to be awesome!

pcNut said...

Is "Absoluuutely adore," part of What's Up Doc?
Sweet David congratulations!
LOVE reading these:)!

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

Thanks for entering my contest! Good luck!

David said...

Ahh, the memories. :) I can't wait for you to meet Carrie also.

Kaylynn said...

I have a little memory of David. We were at the church, and he yells across the gym, "Look Mom" Then he flips off the stage and lands on his feet. Your mom, just took a deep breath then said very proudly, "Great job!" I don't know if I could have done either: the trick or taking the trick in stride! Great post for a great brother!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

I didn't ever get to know David really well. But I still find it weird that he kissed my little sister. (can I say that now that he's getting married and not get in trouble?)