Saturday, October 24, 2009

Don't be scared...

I'm going to mention a scary word, but don't let it frighten you away. It's been awhile since I've mentioned... Okay I'm just going to say it. Opera. It's been awhile since I've mentioned any opera on my blog. Let me provide a little background. I know I've mentioned that I'm a fan of some opera. This was not always the case. As a youngster, I couldn't stand listening to opera. Their voices just seemed so fake and over-trained. I accompanied classical voice lessons for a number of years and then my husband took a class covering opera for which he had to listen to A LOT of pieces ranging from Handel to Wagner. From these experiences I learned to appreciate what my mom had always told me: the body can be used as an instrument just as an oboe or french horn or whatever can. When you can appreciate this, you can appreciate well-done opera or classical singing.

Before I introduce this piece, let me just tell you one other thing I've been thinking a lot about lately. Self-improvement. I've been reading several books and spending time doing things that I don't necessarily enjoy, but are good for exercising my brain and discipline since I'm not accountable for much structure these days. I do this in hopes of improving myself and my taste and talents, etc...

So in the interest of helping you with a little self-improvement (because I'm so helpful, I know), let me introduce you to one of my favorite sopranos. (Excuse her dress. Just listen and appreciate this beautiful voice!)



Now, you thought just because I said opera, the music was going to be scary. (I don't even know if this would strictly be called opera. Maybe just an art song sung in classical style? Whatever.) Wasn't it beautiful?!

(Now, you did listen to it, didn't you? If you didn't, shame on you. It's just a couple minutes. If you're in a place where you can't listen now, you'll just have to go back and listen to it later. Now report!)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess this makes me the first to report. This song is just so incredibly DELIGHTFUL. I think that any music, when it's tasteful to start with, and tastefully performed, can be wonderfully uplifting. It's also really fun to hear someone hit those super high notes without screaming. =)

ldsjaneite said...

8 minutes is a couple of minutes!? :-)

I always admire such talent, because I know what it takes to try some of this. And it's hard!!! Very lovely voice and she does make it seem so easy. Clear and light and with a bit of, uh, spunk. (Is that a good word for this?) I mostly only listened, but the couple times I turned back to watch a little, I was very humored by watching the conductor.

Thanks for the enlightening!

Debbie said...

The music was beautiful. She has an amazing gift that I will never possess. I thought the video was funny. I haven't had much exposure to opera, but she did make some funny faces. Caleb thought so too, and he liked it because it wasn't nasal-y. My little bro D. thought it sounded like a bird. Thanks for broadening our musical experiences.

Kira said...

Like a cloud she floats and lingers above the earth. I love how Karajan moons over his singers. Greats need no music...

Sara Lyn said...

I think it's funny that all of y'all watched this clip. I didn't. :) I just listened, so now I'm all curious as to what I missed and will be watching it in just a minute. :)

Morgan - I love listening to people not screaming, too. :)

Heidi - 8 minutes in the grand scheme of things, especially for bettering oneself, is no time at all! :)

Debbie - I agree with Caleb. Not such a big fan of that nasal-y sound. I love her floating voice.

Kira - You have such an elegant way of putting things.

Seth said...

Hmm, how can I get opera and non-snarkiness into the same paragraph? I guess now it's your turn to convert me. My favorite conductor with such a beautiful voice, I have to at least appreciate it. Great final note! Why can't I understand her English? (Doh, snarkiness!) I am still not accustomed to the operatic style, but as with film, there are some "more sophisticated" styles/renditions that are not pop culture that one finds is more meaningful and enjoyable than the mainstream. Gutentag.

Sara Lyn said...

Seth - I was impressed with your attempt at non-snarkiness. You almost made it! English. Bah. I hadn't even noticed the conductor until now. He's a fantastic one! Our friend who plays in several orchestras really likes him because he's good at conveying what he wants. I've got to get into more Miasaki. (Or however you spell his name.)

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

On Sunday, we were working on a practice hymn... now I can't remember which one but it was of those pieces in the back that is just written for women's voices, and it was so very, very high.
She asked, "who here sings soprano?" One girl raised her hand.
Next one was, "Who here sings alto?" A few more hands went up.

Me? I did NOT raise my hand at all.

I fall into the "I don't sing at all" category.

We could sure use this gals' help with the song... despite her dress. =)

Sara Lyn said...

Serene - You and Debbie are so funny. You both sing fine. :) But I can sympathize. After listening to her sing, I feel like a frog. :)

Becky said...

Bad dresses happen to good people.

Is that German?

Sara Lyn said...

Beck - Amen and amen. And yep, it's German. Best language to sing in. :)