Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Escape

I recently stepped out of my comfort zone and read this book. It was a very difficult book to read, yet I couldn't put it down! There was a quote from Jon Krakauer on the back of the particular book I read that said something to the effect of most people wouldn't believe this kind of thing possible, but it's truly accurate. Unfortunately, I believed pretty much every word she said.

This book was very disturbing to me for several reasons. First, Carolyn Jessop's horrific story. Poor girl! And she's not the only one whose gone through such an insane excuse for a life. What hell to have lived through. (Pardon my language.) I could go on and on about all the horrible things she had to go through, but if you want to know, pick up the book.

The second thing that disturbed was knowing that many people are going to misunderstand a lot about the FLDS church and will still associate it with "mainstream Mormonism." (A rather inaccurate way of saying this.) The FLDS church broke away from the Mormon church over 100 years ago and while they may still say some of the same things that members of the church do, they twist everything so much that essentially they believe nothing that we do. They claim to have the priesthood and men beat and rape their wives in the name of their "authority." They claim that only by having multiple wives can men get to heaven (and drag their wives with them). They tell women that they will understand their husbands if they will endure their life cheerfully. What ridiculous nonsense! What insanity! And unfortunately, I think that is what people think members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints think. I wish I knew a way to disabuse people of the notion. I think of how many conference talks we hear every year about men and women not abusing their spouses and children. I think of Doctrine and Covenants 121 where essentially it points out if a man exercises unrighteous dominion over anyone in his stewardship (another very misunderstood term), he loses his right to the priesthood. In other words, if a man beats his wife, he has no authority. Over anything. (And what authority he did have in the first place is not the right to boss his wife around.) And on and on and on.

This was all very disturbing to me. However, this quote comforts me. "The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent..." Misunderstandings also will not stop the work.

Thanks for letting me spew.

6 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

In my librarian career, I've often had to encounter much of what you just said--but from the book "Under the Banner of Heaven." What was supposed to be a historical description of the FLDS became a bash on the LDS--seeing as they share the same history/background (ignoring how much the FLDS twisted it). Though I do not want to subject myself to it, I feel at some point I need to read it to know exactly what weapons my opposing forces are coming at me with. (I loved reading the statements officially put out by the Church about that book.)

So, I'm guessing if you take this book and multiply it by about 40, you'll get the idea of what working on the "Tragic Life Trials" booklist was like for me. Uggggh.

Kaylynn said...

So sad when people use religion to gain power. It is always a comfort to know that the Savior was meek and lowly of heart!

Kristy Lynne said...

It is amazing that throughout all history women have been abused this way. I hope that we can spread so much good that women will discover their inner strength and no longer subject themselves, (and others will support them), to the evil traditions of their fathers.

pcNut said...

You addressed the same issues I felt reading this book. Horrifying. How it concerns me, the abuses on the world of Father's children. Shameful.
I take comfort from the principle of the quote. Let the work roll on!

Amy G. said...

Mind if I borrow your copy of the book?

Sara Lyn said...

Amy, I just borrowed it from the library. It's always been on the shelf when I've gone (to the Central branch), so it should be easy to get a copy.