Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Glowing spires


I've been talking with several friends lately about the prevalence of depression these days. Seems like half the people I know are depressed. (Very possibly more.) Why is this? Any good thoughts? In the meantime, here's a quote that I found that was inspiring. Let's keep going to the temple!

Vaughn J. Featherstone, The Incomparable Christ: Our Master and Model, p.4
"Before the Savior comes the world will darken. The time will come when even the elect will begin to lose hope if they do not come often to the temples. I believe that the Saints will come to the temples not only to do vicarious work but also to find a God-given haven of peace."


We took these pictures on a trip up to D.C. The day was dark and dreary, yet look at the way the spires glow. They seemed to be a beacon. A coincidence? I think not. I was glad our camera caught the way they glowed.

(A funny side note. If you look closely at them, you'll notice that the pictures line up pretty perfectly. This was not on purpose! There were several pictures taken in between these two. I think it's fun that they lined up so well.)

4 comments:

Bri... only she said...

That is cool! What a beautiful temple! I love temples on cloudy days (but I'm from Washington, so I also have an affinity for year-round Christmas trees) :).

I agree with you on the depression thing though. It's so easy to forget the wonderful blessings we have in life, to get caught up in the rush of everyday and forget to slow down and make memories that will last us through the "cloudy days".

Grant and I felt like almost all of our last General Conference was focused on the topic of hope and laughing through trials. I remember us (unwise, giddy newlyweds we are) thought it was a little eerie. But after almost completing our first year together, I'm starting to understand why. Life is so tough, if you can't learn to slow down, appreciate, and laugh during the struggle.

I'm really excited to see what counsel the brethren have for us this weekend!

Thanks for your post!

Bri Z.

Mandy said...

This post really hit home for me, Sara Lyn--With the darkness of our times, the temple is the one place for me that I can renew my "hope," as mentioned in the Elder Featherstone quote. Sometimes I just wish I could call from the rooftops and let everyone around us know that we have the solution to the overcoming the fears and insecurities that come from the horrific things that are going on around us.

pcNut said...

love this.
love you

Kristy Lynne said...

Thanks for the reminder. I am discovering that by trying to please others I get depressed. When those around me are sad, angry, or offended I have learned the relief of choosing to be happy. Wow!

It is also empowering to those with the negative feelings.