Saturday, January 1, 2011

Reading Report

A shameful confession here. I did not finish 8 of my categories! (That is if you count each letter of the alphabet as a separate category.) Letters I, N, U, V, and Y got me. Lame, I know. And I never did see a movie that I had not seen and read the book I had not read this year. I read and watched Persuasion, but I had both read and watched Persuasion before, so I did not count it. I didn't read a retold fairy tale, surprisingly, that I had not read before. Usually this is a favorite genre, but not one I got around to this year. And lastly, I did not read a book that was written between 1776 and 1850. So I failed my own book challenge.

Still, I did read a lot of books and even a number that I would not have normally picked up, but was goaded into doing so for the book challenge. Let me highlight some favorites for you [note: not all the categories I finished are interesting enough to include]:

A: It was fun to read a few books by Hannah Alexander (Christian medical fiction). I think I started with "Second Opinion."
B: Really enjoyed some Judy Baer (Christian fiction) books this year. "Mirror, Mirror" was probably my favorite.
C: "Out of the Rain" was probably my favorite Elizabeth Cadell (general fiction/light romance from the '50s to '80s) book read this year.
E: Enjoyed "Middlemarch" by George Eliot.
G: "Never the Bride" by Rene Gutteridge (Christian fiction - at least this book was) made me think a lot. I liked a lot of what it made me think about, though I didn't necessarily agree with lots in the book. Still, got to love a thinker.
H: Dee Henderson's (Christian thriller) series starting with the prequel "Danger in the Shadows" was a fun one for me. I also really liked Dr. Harley's "His Needs, Her Needs." (marriage). Excellent!! And Helene Hanff's "Charing Cross Road."
O: I read Janette Oke's (Christian historical fiction) "Prarie Legacy" series. Very interesting to me.
S: I loved "The Mysterious Benedict Society" by Trenton Lee Stewart (children's).
W: Discovered Laura Jensen Walker's book club series. Very fun for me, a book lover. Also really enjoyed "Reconstructing Natalie" about a breast cancer survivor.

Water book: Read Elizabeth Cadell's "Shadows on the Water" for this. Liked it. I love Cadell's seemingly rambling style.

Title: Another Elizabeth Cadell. (I was on a kick this year, obviously.) "Enter Mrs. Belchamber."

Plant: "When the Bough Breaks" by Kay Lynn Magnum (LDS young adult). A tie-in to her "Secret Journal of Brett Colton," my favorite LDS young adult novel. (Okay, so it was a bit of a stretch...)

Visited: "Excellent Women" by Barbara Pym. Takes place in England. I wanted to visit England and then I GOT to visit. :) Perfect.

1851 - 1900: "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekell and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson. One of the best books I read all year. A very short, wonderful read with an amazing moral to the story. LOVED it!

1901 - 1950: Read a Georgette Heyer book and also "Winnie-the-Pooh."

War: "In Our Strange Gardens" by Michel Quint. Another short, but fabulous book.

"Best" book of the decade: "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" by Lynne Truss

Science: "A Briefer History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. I actually could follow along for longer than I anticipated. Made me feel smart. (Until I thought about how this was his dumbed down version...) :)

History: "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. History of the Appalachian Trail.

Goodreads author: "Dragon Slippers" by Jessica Day George (YA). "Sweet Caroline" by Rachel Hauck (Christian fiction). "Impossible" by Nancy Werlin (YA). This was particularly interesting to me. Once I got into the book, I couldn't put it down!

2010: "Caught" by Harlan Coben. One of my favorite endings to a book. Ever.

Meant to read: "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. Another thinker of a book. An excellent read I would recommend to everybody.

Politics: Read several here, but the only one I would recommend is "Amazing Grace" by Eric Metaxas. It is about William Wilburforce and not only a lot of great information, but a good read, too!

Before 1776: "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli. Very interesting, especially when put into historical persepctive. I think that's very important for this book.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

You are Amazing Ra! Truly Amazing! Well done.
I love you

ldsjaneite said...

Nice re-cap. I'll be getting to mine, too.

I failed, too, if it makes you feel better. I tried SO hard. And if I had been able to stay up the last 1.5 hours of the 31st, I would have finished the book for the letter Y. But, well, it was print, and it was late. I fell asleep reading. Typical....

And my word verification--ha ha: fessyfus. I need to make that a regular word in my vocabulary. :-)

Seth said...

I'm not certain how many points I get, but here's some books I read:

2/3 of Tom Sawyer
Mistborn series
Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians
A lot of computer graphics papers and book chapters

Sara Lyn said...

Sarah - You're so nice to me. I'm just addicted to books.

Heidi - Fessyfus. That's awesome. I was slightly comforted that you didn't finish the challenge either. Sorry you couldn't make it that last hour and a half! I didn't, either. :)

Seth - I think that computer graphics papers and book chapters are worth 100 points each, so you probably got more points than any of us this year. :)

Marcie said...

Wow! I've like heard of none of those books. I'm really impressed. I'm the pickyest when it comes to books. They have to be the cutest, most uplifting books in order for me to read them. So I mostly just read juvenile lit like Betsy-Tacy. I'm going to do better this year. Thanks for motivating me. Have you read The Miracles of Maple Hill? I think I told you about it, but I'm not sure. Really cute. :)