Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Happiness

"Happiness and unhappiness... are not opposite sides of the same emotion - they're distinct and rise and fall independently..." - Gretchen Rubin

I'm not sure if that's the exact quote. It's what I wrote in my notes from the book. But I thought that was interesting. I've often felt like I was happy and sad at the same time and that seemed paradoxical. So when I read this sentence, it rang true to me. It was why I could feel both at the same time.

Another thing Rubin points out is that happy people tend to focus on the positive things in their lives while unhappy people tend to focus on the negative things. I've made a concerted effort for the last week to focus on the positive and I have to say, it's made a difference. In the past, I've tried to be a positive thinker, but this time, I am focusing on doing so. Funny how in some ways, I didn't learn anything new when I read Rubin's book, and yet it struck me anew - things I've always known, but need to put back into practice.

Here is yet another song (this version in particular) that I love to listen to. (I have a thing for mellow music I guess.)

No comments: