Saturday, May 9, 2009

Lucky Us!

There was a fireside in Augusta, Georgia last night and they invited women from Memphis and Orlando to join in by satellite. Mary Cook and Julie Beck spoke. Mary Cook mostly spoke to the young women and challenged them to do three things. Smile, read their scriptures every day, and pray every morning and evening.

Julie Beck asked for questions from the audience. One women asked how to help other women struggling with depression. Sister Beck advised that they get the best professional and spiritual help they can. And then she quoted Joseph Smith saying that it takes faith to get out of bed in the morning. I really appreciated that. There are a lot of mornings where it just seems too hard to get out of bed, so the fact that I do... Wahoo! An act of faith! (Can someone help me find this quote? It sounds Lectures of Faith-ish.)

Of course, they said a lot more, but I don't want to go on forever and ever. We really enjoyed the fireside! Yay for the randomness of inviting us!

6 comments:

Kaylynn said...

Can I post that quote next to my bed! Love the question and Sister Beck's answer!

David said...

Mary Cook came to the MTC a few weeks ago and she told the sister missionaries that those three challenges are their presidency's focus this year. Boy it's fun working at the MTC--get to see and hear a lot of good talks from great speakers.

ldsjaneite said...

They mentioned those challenges in the YW broadcast, too. It hit home for me and I want to be sure to meet each one every day! I'll find the quote. Give me a bit.

ldsjaneite said...

Still searching. Skimmed through "Lectures on Faith." And though the quote wasn't where I looked through, 1:11 pretty much means that. Really good "verse."

P.S. - Did you know "joseph smith" + "it takes faith" + "out of bed" in a Google search brings your blog as the 2nd result. :-)

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Does this mean I can't sleep in anymore and ignore my kids?
Darn it. =)

Mandy said...

Wish they would've invited our stake too! Thanks for sharing Sister Beck's inspired advice.