Monday, May 18, 2009

Ghost Train

One thing I miss most about Utah is the amazing concerts we went to. I went to tons of concerts when I was single and almost as many after Morgan and I got married. We discovered some really neat pieces of music over the years.

One concert we attended had a piece named "Ghost Train." It's by Eric Whitacre, a really interesting contemporary composer. Whitacre wrote this piece as an undergraduate. Morgan and I were hooked from the first flute solo. In fact, everyone was so astounded by this piece that when the fire alarm went off in the middle, no one moved until the last note. :) (There was only about a minute left. And it was a false alarm, thank goodness.)

Now, of course, this recording isn't going to be nearly as amazing as hearing it in a live concert, but I hope you enjoy anyway. It's especially effective if you close your eyes and do a little visualization.



Did Whitacre get this title on the nose or what?!

3 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

Wow. That was interesting. Did you ever hear University Singers perform the Moon song. Or space song or something. I'm not always into the contemporary thing, but I was fascinated by the various sounds and how it really did give you the feeling.... Music is amazing.

Sara Lyn said...

I'm not generally into contemporary, but I usually really enjoy Whitacre. What talent! And it was always amazing to listen to the University Singers. They didn't do a lot of stuff I was interested in, but they always sounded out of this world!

pcNut said...

This was amazing! I was impressed!
Love you!