Monday, February 28, 2011

Book Challenge for March

March - Beware the Ides of March. Read a mystery.


I made the February challenge by the skin of my teeth. (Finished my final nonfiction today, but finished the other nonfiction and special challenge only in the past few days!) I read "The Private Life of the Cat Who..." by Lilian Jackson Braun for the animal book. This month I discovered I don't so much like reading about animals. Hm... I started a couple of other books, but couldn't get through them, so this is what I ended up with. I remember liking "The Cat Who..." books mainly for the how she writes about cats, so this was a fun, if very short, book. Now I want another Siamese cat. :)

For my nonfiction books, I read two books by writers: "Knit Together: Discover God's Pattern for Your Life" by Debbie Macomber and "Page after Page: Discover the confidence & passion you need to start writing & keep writing" by Heather Sellers. I really enjoyed "Knit Together" and I found a lot of good information in "Page after Page."

Other than that, I didn't read a whole lot because I was so busy with solo and ensembles and work this month.

Any good books y'all read this month?

6 comments:

Kira said...

I read The Camel Bookmobile. It is not an ANIMAL book, but it does address a few camel issues, and the human animal. It also briefly mentions a few more African exotics.

I'm not necessarily recommending the book.

ldsjaneite said...

I really did like my light chick-lit books.

Sara Lyn said...

Kira - You always read books about fascinating topics. Remember that cheese book you told me about? I think I picked that same book up at a book sale today for 28 cents. I remember you thought it was interesting.

Heidi - I'm interested to look at some of the books you read. And WAHOO for finishing 5,345 pages this month! (Or at least finishing the books.) :) Now I'm all curious as to how many pages I've read this year so far... Hold on. I'm going to check. :) (This obviously doesn't count books I've read parts of and put down - a frequent thing for me.) Um... Never mind. I have read too many pages this year. It's a little inflated, but not really. Heh, heh. I read when I'm stressed, okay?! :)

Sara Lyn said...

Okay. Went back over my books. I feel a little better because ten of my books were graphic novels (I got into a series, okay?!) and they took like two seconds to read each, but were close to 200 pages each. Phew.

Ramona Zabriskie said...

I recommend "The Secret Life of Bees" which I could not put down -- read it way too fast.

ldsjaneite said...

Graphic novels were why I felt bad about meeting my YA goal last year, and thus read 10 more to feel more like I really had read that many books. They do read so fast, and it somehow feels unfair. Perhaps I should count my page #s from last year to see if my goal is too small.