Saturday, February 19, 2011

An Angel

Yesterday evening, we were having a John-Eliot-Gardiner-is-the-coolest-ever fest. We listened to our favorite version of Voi che sapete. Pamela Helen Stephen is the best Cherubino I've heard.



We stumbled upon the John Eliot Gardiner version of Handel's Messiah and we met, in someone else's words, this "angel of light in an otherwise dreary world." (They then asked, "WHY IS HE NOT THE MOST FAMOUS TENOR OF ALL TIME?!") I'm not positive I totally agree, but he does have quite the lovely voice. Hear Anthony Rolfe-Johnson for yourself.



I really liked this version of "And the Glory of the Lord." Reminded me of a stream running over rocks on its way down a mountain.

And continuing in the vein of J.E. Gardiner, here's some music I am very familiar with. I studied The Magic Flute in college a bit and fell in love. This is what we watched. (I couldn't pick just one song, so you get two. I was quite divided among about seven.) The first is Papageno singing about how he wants a wife. The second is Papageno and Tamina singing about love. One of my favorite pieces.





I realize I've put quite a bit up here and it might seem a bit overwhelming, but truly it's worth it to listen! Go ahead. Indulge yourself with great music, well-executed!

Nope. I lied. I have to put this one up, too. So amazing! (Check out what they say about liars.) :)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

These singers for the Magic Flute are Wonderful!!!
Want More!
Love you Ra!

Sarah said...

I also looked up Mr. Gerald Finley's website. Yum!

Sara Lyn said...

Thanks for the tip on his website. You're right. Yum!!!

Seth said...

A fun listen. I think I'm a sucker for great tenors just like you really like great sopranos (that Figaro one has a great soprano).