Thursday, May 20, 2010

Beauty

I'm not normally one for art galleries. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I could go through the entire MoA at BYU in 20 minutes if no one else was with me. I know. Shameful. But I have found an artist whose work truly speaks to my soul. His name is J. Kirk Richards. I remember the first time I saw a piece of his work. I stared at it for a long time. Please take time to peruse his website.

Some of my favorites are this, and this, and this, and this. Of course, the internet can't show them off nearly well enough. They are truly stunning in person.

The reason I mention all this is for all of you who will be near St. George this summer. He's having a show. Here's the information:


I really hope some of you can make it. Last year, I got to see one hanging in the Conference Center. I stopped by on my way to the airport, having heard it was there only the day before. It was well worth the extra trouble. If you have friends down there, let them know.

8 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

I really like the last "this" picture. and the first "this" picture was nice, but I do love that story, too.

Anonymous said...

Was he in the ward when you both were. Wonderful family and WONDERFUl artist!

Ramona Zabriskie said...

Okay - I have to admit that I'm a art gallery junkie --- except for the really crazy modern art. Otherwise, it is one of my top 5 favorite things to do in the whole world...luckily I'll soon be in Europe!!!! I especially like to keep abreast of new LDS artists. I have met Bro. Richards through G&B, but had not seen his work THANK YOU. I LOVE IT!!!!

Carrie said...

So, kinda crazy, I was reading your blog and thinking "that's the name of the counselor in our bishopric" I knew he was into art, but I had NO idea how much! Awesome stuff! I went to his website just to be sure that it was really him and not just someone with the same name. =]

Sara Lyn said...

Heidi - Those are probably my two favorites of the four. But I have other favorites of his work. And they all look so much more amazing in person.

Bri - They were in the ward when we were there and we were fortunate enough to get to know them a little bit.

Aunt Mona - I'm glad I could introduce you to his work. It's just so wonderful!

Carrie - Yep. He's the same guy. Did you know he also does music and other things? He wrote a children's book that I think is one of the best I've seen. It's called "I'll Be There with Belzon." You'll have to check it out.

Debbie said...

Beautiful. I haven't seen his work before, but I really like his technique. Makes you wish you could do something like that, huh?

pcNut said...

Love Kirk. Love art galleries. Love going through them with you:)
love you. really I do:)
me

Sara Lyn said...

Debbie - You have such a great eye for artistry. I'm glad to introduce you to his work.

Sarah - It was way fun looking at his art with you!