Monday, February 22, 2010

Great Music

Last night, someone asked us to send them a list of good classical music. Oh, boy! Oh, boy! Well, we took about an hour and put together some of our favorite pieces. It was not at all comprehensive, but we had a lot of fun putting it together. I thought I would post a piece right now that is one of my all-time favorites.



Just so you appreciate this performance a little more (or at least understand my appreciate, I suppose), the men's portion of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir recorded a version of this piece (Wagner's "The Pilgrim's Chorus" from Tannhaeuser, in case it doesn't show) several decades ago. My dad loved that recording and when I was introduced, I loved it too. My husband and I found another recording that had an orchestra behind it (how it was originally written) instead of an organ (MoTab's version). The singing was lower quality, but we loved the strings! So we longed for the day when the Mormon Tabernacle Choir would get together with the Orchestra on Temple Square. Then we found this! We were so excited!

2 comments:

Svedi Pie said...

Thank you for sharing! The strings are wonderful.

Seth said...

Ahh, that made my day better.