Monday, November 30, 2009

Thinking

Sometimes I wonder if it drives y'all crazy that I put so many You Tube videos on my blog. And then I remember. This is my blog. Then I experience a surge of power. And then I laugh at myself for trying to be funny when everybody else is looking at the computer screen with a "huh?" expression on their face. Then I erase this paragraph and move on with my post. But today I think I'll leave it. Surely one of you will chuckle with me. [chirp, chirp]

Okay, so here's the You Tube video. (And yes, you will have to watch it in order to fully appreciate my next remarks.)



The part that particularly struck me started about second 50, although the beginning in interesting enough. By the way, this is Richard Feynman, a physicist.

When it comes to counting and talking or reading, I'm like Feynman, I think. I can count and read at the same time, but not talk. I notice this on the phone. I can multi-task with a lot of things, but if I try to do something similar, I trip all over myself and can't talk and therefore sound like a bit of an idiot. :) Whatever...

Anyway, it has often struck me that even when we're all speaking English, we can't always be speaking the same language. For example, one day I was sitting in Relief Society and the teacher asked us to read a certain paragraph, answer a question and then talk it over in a small group. Well, we read the paragraph and thought of our answers and then began to discuss. The answer seemed very obvious to me. It was practically stated exactly as the question was asked in that particular paragraph. That led me to a particular train of thought and I learned something quite profound. As the women in my group began to discuss their thoughts about our paragraph and question, my first thought was that somehow I had read the wrong paragraph and thought about the wrong question. I quickly realized that no, we really had been looking at the same words, but somehow what was completely obvious to me was totally missed by everyone else and it seemed like other people were pulling their answers out of thin air. Incredible.

Another time, we were discussing something of a political nature with a friend who has different views from ours. He asked a question about one of our views. We gave a clear, concise answer. He accused us of changing the subject. We restated his question and matched our answer exactly to his question. He again accused us of changing the subject. I thought him impossibly dense. Hm...

I have many times considered whether we even see things the same way. For example, my husband and I have a vastly different opinion of beauty. Are we seeing the same things? Do colors look the same to you as they do to me? Do shapes look the same way? What about depth perception? How much of this has to do with the way our eyes function? Brains? Conditioning? Do we hear things the same way? Feel things the same way? People make fun of the way I can't stand touching flour or sand. But do you feel the same way when you walk across the beach? Taste the same orange juice I do?

I am now thinking to myself, "I wonder how clear this post is coming across. It all makes sense to me. Each thought logically leads to the next." Are any of you thinking, "Not only does this girl ramble, she's totally incomprehensible, too!"? But surely you have to admit this is such an interesting thought! No wonder we're counseled to not judge another before we've walked a mile in their shoes. Maybe it's that we shouldn't judge another before we've seen/felt/heard... like they do. And since that seems to be impossible, at least for now, that's why we really shouldn't judge?

10 comments:

Alecia said...

I was pondering along these same lines on the drive to Utah. I think Tennessee is beautiful, Gary not so much. I think beauty, logic, and common sense are much in the eyes of the beholder. Which leads me to another thought. Wouldn't life be boring as heck without all the different views? Also, as I am writing this I keep correcting my spelling and grammar because I know that you are the one reading it. Then I give up, because I'm not so good with the English, eh?

PS I hate the sound of regular pencil writing. I've hated it since I started school. It made standardized tests hard for me to endure. 30 students all with #2 pencils writing for three hours, ARGH!

Sara Lyn said...

Funny that Gary doesn't think Tennesse is gorgeous. I think it's beautiful! :) Morgan thinks Utah is gorgeous. I think it's nice to visit if you don't have to stay. Mountains are okay for a week or two. Give me trees, though. :)

You're just fine at English. I'm not super critical about the way. I do have a few major pet peeves, however. My two biggest are when people hyper correct saying things like "him and I" (it's him and ME, dude) and when people use the word "utilize." Ugh. Just say use. You sound like an idiot. :) I could give a short lecture on why I say both those things. And then it will bug you for the rest of your life too! Mwa ha ha. :)

I laughed about your hating pencil sounds. I could see that. Try not to take any classes that require you going to a testing center. Oi!

Seth said...

I like your humor. I thought the crickets were funny too.

I think this topic is very interesting. We process things differently. For example, some people (like me) associate colors with numbers. As for whether or not we see the same colors, I'll throw in my two cents. Our interpretations of how we see the same thing might be more similar the more literal or fundamental it gets (e.g. we all agree 1+1=2 though we may process the adding method differently.)

When it comes to colors, we all more or less see the same values (light/dark) and saturations (purity of the light wave lengths), right? So do we see the same hues? I would say we see colors fairly similarly (total speculation) since our brains are not wired THAT differently. However, our interpretation (e.g. do we like it) is different and the way our mind relates colors (e.g. I like such-and-such color combination) is different, though even there there are general likes and dislikes.

Well, what I just said is a total flop explanation of what I so clearly understood in my own head (case in point).

Isn't "utilize" just a synonym, when we get bored of saying "use"? :) Can we utilize the word utilize on leap years? (Didn't that sound wonderful?) Ok, digging myself into a hole...

Sara Lyn said...

Seth - Thanks for thinking I'm funny. Must be something about being in formative years together. :)

I didn't know you were a color/number person. I've always found that rather fascinating. How does it work? I see numbers in blocks that work a lot like money. Groups of hundred, fifties, twenty-fives, tens. (I never associated before now that they come in blocks very similar to money.)

Interesting what you said about color. I always thought we must see about the same thing with color, but your explanation would help explain why. (I know nothing about color, really.) But it was always curious to me why some people could LOVE some colors while other people HATED them. (That neon spring green for example. Ew! Yet some people love it! I don't understand.) :)

Yes, utilize is a synonym for use, but the thing that drives me nuts is it adds nothing to the English language. It means use. Nothing more. There's no difference between the words. Well, I guess except for people think they sound more professional or smart or something when they use "utilize." Not understanding of course, that there are people thinking "Oh, you must want to sound pretentious" every time they use it. I guess that's judging, though. Shouldn't do that. I actually caught myself using it one time. (I hear it ALL the time in my line of work.) Shudder. To continue my lecture, since you started it, when a new word comes into the language, usually it brings a nuance with it. When I look in a thesaurus, not just any word will do in the great list of words that are similar. I'm looking for the one that will best fit my context, right? Utilize/use can be used absolutely interchangeably. Pointless. I will never live to see the day when "use" dies out entirely (as one of them must sometime) because Heidi and I will always use "use" instead of "utilize." ;) (Don't get me started on "due to the fact" and "because" either...)

Seth said...

I see colors with numbers mainly when someone says a number and/or I picture it in my head. E.g. 1=white, 4=blue, 7=black, 8 and 18=yellow. I don't really think it has much use nor does much for my intelligence.

You have a good point about utilize. Maybe if I were writing a story about a pretentious guy, I would use "utilize" in his conversation. I think I mainly use "utilize" when I'm trying to talk flowery. :) Now I'm curious about "due to the fact." Don't worry, we can discuss it some other time if you want. I just think it has a little more emphasis than the ubiquitous "because" (though I've rarely utilized it in everyday speech). SORRY, I couldn't help it! Bad llama. :)

Sara Lyn said...

Ha, ha. :)

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Different personalities + different experiences = vastly varying view points and perpectives.

I think your math makes perfect sense!

Sara Lyn said...

You've got it, Serene! I kept reminding myself of that this weekend as I watched someone do something seemingly incomprehensible to me. "Remember, Sara Lyn, don't judge!!!" :)

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

LOLOL!

ldsjaneite said...

How in the world did I miss this post until now? I love intellectual stimulation like this. I'm surprised interpretation of books and writing hasn't entered the conversation, yet. :-) Serene stated it quite well.

I'm totally intrigued by the color/number association Seth has. All I have is seeing words in my mind as I say them--particularly names.

I'm so glad you included me on the "use" part. :-) There are a couple of other things that irk me as well: "Irregardless," "I could care less," and "patriotical" for "patriarchal." I'm learning to ignore the frequent mispronunciation of Melchizedek. And I forgive "paradisiacal" since I said it wrong for so long. (hee hee) But in a professional setting as my job is, the "him or I" bugs me extremely. And I won't even start on prayer language!

Ah, Brother Norton. What a professor!