Monday, November 30, 2009

Life

My aunt told me about MLIA.com for the first time last week. That's My Life is Average to those of you like me who are not in the know. I just got on the for the first time and found this story:

"Today in my Calculus class, someone asked the question "Are we ever going to use this in real life?" My teacher turned around and said "Believe it or not, this is real life. This moment is actually happening, right now" and then continued his lesson. MLIA."

I loved this. How many times do we ask, "What does this have to do with real life?" And this answer is perfect. This IS real life. Welcome to reality.

4 comments:

Seth said...

I might have to use that sometime. :)

Sara Lyn said...

No kidding. The more I ponder that, the more I love his answer. It's quite deep! :)

Leanne said...

Interesting semi-related calculus story: My dad was doing his thesis for his first master's degree in Psychology (it was on some weird esoteric psychology subject). He was looking at the data and realized that there was some sort of relationship numerically, but he didn't know how it all fit together (he has never been a math person, nor am I).

Later on, it turned out that there was some sort of mathematical function that perfectly summed up the relationship between the two things he was studying. So, he needed calculus for psychology research. Who would have thought such totally different fields would come together like that?

I've always hated the question "Are we ever going to use this in real life?" In my opinion, there is no such thing as "useless" knowledge.

Sara Lyn said...

Right on, Leanne. That's so interesting that calculus would have helped his psychology analysis. I also thought that even if you do never run into a situation where you'd need any particular function, the skills you hone by learning calculus (like hard work and patience) will be used for the rest of your life. I agree. No "useless" knowledge.