Thursday, January 19, 2012

Increase in Learning

I've been reading David Bednar's new book "Increase in Learning." It is excellent. I've been taking it quite slowly, as he encourages, trying to really pick up the patterns of what he is saying. I've been tempted to share lots of quotes from the book, but one I read today hit me particularly for sharing.

President Hinckley said "We must go on growing. We must continuously learn. It is a divinely given mandate that we go on adding to our knowledge."

Fun, isn't it? And there are so many, many things to learn about. I started thinking of all the things I've been learning in the last year and the plans I've made for this year, not to mention the unknown lessons that will be rather thrust upon me. While there are times I get frustrated with how slowly I learn a lot of life's lessons, I do feel excited for the wonderful variety of things to learn about. I just wish I could master it all!

Things I realize I've been learning about this week alone: scriptures, the family, politics, quilting, juicing, exercise, relationships, patience, house hunting, crocheting, mailing things, insurance, Afghanistan refugees, creativity, cooking, time management... (Oh, and Hobbits.) :)

Okay, I think I've only started. Anybody learning anything particularly fun/interesting/insightful these days?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I can tell you what I want to be learning: shelf life of bottled vs. canned. Interesting to me.
And now I'm curious about a few things you learned. We should talk. :)
Hooray for Elder Bednar!

Kira said...

Do we have to answer your question? Will an "uh" response qualify?

Seth said...

For school, I'm learning how to do as little as possible yet still pass my classes.