Monday, October 3, 2011

October Challenge

The Challenge for October - Columbus discovered America in October. Read a book concerning America. (I realize that is pretty wide open. I wanted some options by this time.)

I read a couple of doozies during September. First of all, I read the graphic novel of "Jane Eyre" by Amy Corzine and determined once and for all that I can't stand reading graphic novels. Blech. I had to read Charlotte Bronte's full "Jane Eyre" so I could get all the depth of the story again. I haven't read it since college, so it's been a while. The graphic novel version hit a lot of the "highlights" of the book but managed to not get any of the heart and soul of the book. I thought that was fairly impressive. :) I really did enjoy rereading the full novel. I read with pen in hand and marked my book to death. I forgot how good that book is! If you haven't read it, I strongly recommend "Jane Eyre." It is truly exceptional.

I read David McCullough's "The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris," which was fascinating. McCullough is always interesting and this book was a treat. Another high recommendation from me.

I really enjoyed "Daughters in My Kingdom," put out by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I found it very inspiring.

Other than that, I read a few light and fluffy books - "Powder and Patch" by Georgette Heyer, which put me in the mood for (and therefore subsequently read) "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy. "I Now Pronounce You Someone Else" by Erin McCahan. I had some real bones to pick with that one. "Love Finds You in Miracle, Kentucky" by Andrea Boeshaar. That was actually quite fun. I wouldn't rush out to recommend it, but for a light, quick read, I enjoyed it.

Happy reading this month!

1 comment:

ldsjaneite said...

Ah! The weekend was busy and I didn't get to updating my reading log to share. Possibly tomorrow morning.