Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What do you get...?

What do you get when you put Joseph von Eichendorff, Robert Schumann, and Barbara Bonney together? Something beautiful, of course!



Joseph von Eichendorff wrote a beautiful poem in 1837 (I think) called "Mondnacht" (Night of the Moon). I learned this in a German class a long time ago. I won't even attempt to translate it, but it sure is beautiful in German.

Es war, als hätt' der Himmel,
Die Erde still geküßt,
Daß sie im Blütenschimmer
Von ihm nur träumen müßt.

Die Luft ging durch die Felder,
Die Ähren wogten sacht,
Es rauschten leis die Wälder,
So sternklar war die Nacht.

Und meine Seele spannte
Weit ihre Flügel aus,
Flog durch die stillen Lande,
Als flöge sie nach Haus.

Or if you want a different interpretation of Schumann's song.

5 comments:

Amy G. said...

I hope you don't mind, but I put it through a translator... it truly is beautiful :)

It was when the sky would have
The Earth still kissed,.
That they are in the flower cast
You have to only dream of it.

The air went through the fields,
The ears rose gently,
There the Woods quietly rustled
The night was so starry.

And stretched my soul
Their wings far from that.
Flew through the quiet countryside,
As she might fly home.

Sara Lyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara Lyn said...

I didn't think about running through a translator. Thanks for doing that! It's not terribly accurate, but gives you at least a taste of it. It's as good as any of the other interpretations I've seen, I think.

Ramona Zabriskie said...

Wow. Gorgeous!

Me said...

where is the "love" button on this thing?! haha I loved it!