Saturday, September 18, 2010

Another Book Checkup

I keep telling myself it's not time for a book checkup yet since I just did one, but when I looked this morning to see how long it had been, I realized my last book checkup was in March. So I suppose this is a fine time. Is anyone still trying to meet this challenge? Well, I am. Here are my stats:

Out of 25 categories (assuming that the alphabet category is one challenge), I have 17 fulfilled. I have read 145 books. I think. I may have miscounted somewhere in there. That's 1215 points.

Here are some of the books I have enjoyed since my first checkup:

The Friendly Air - Elizabeth Cadell
The Mysterious Benedict Society - Trenton Lee Stewart
Daring Chloe - Laura Jensen Walker (about a book club!)
When the Bough Breaks - Kay Lynn Magnum
Winne-the-Pooh - A.A. Milne (believe it or not I had never read)
In Our Strange Gardens - Michel Quint
A Briefer History of Time - Stephen Hawking
A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson (just a warning - lots of language, but one of my favorites!)
Impossible - Nancy Werlin
Caught - Carlan Hoben
Amazing Grace - Eric Metaxas
The Prince - Machiavelli

Anybody want to report their score or even just recommend a book they've enjoyed recently?

7 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

OK. I posted my update on the Austen blog!

Anonymous said...

You read The Prince by Machiavelli?! I just read a few passages for a class; I'm curious to know what you thought. . .

Sara Lyn said...

Heidi - I enjoyed your post

Bri - I really enjoyed The Prince. It was really interesting, especially keeping in mind when it was written and to whom. Machiavelli is often quoted out of context and I think most people who quote him have never actually read the book. I didn't find anything sadistic about it. He's mostly making observations about which techniques are used if a prince was to keep his new principality and which techniques will fail. He has examples for every assertion he makes. I found the book to be fascinating.

Ramona Zabriskie said...

Okay, I've gotten waylaid in my reading goals because of my intense responsibilities - but I finally got smart and am reading in the gym and on every bus and train ride. In two weeks I have knocked off "Excellent Women" by Barbara Pym and am also almost done with "Remarkable Creatures" by Tracy Chevalier, both English authors and both exceptionally well written. I am also reading two "church" books "Women and the Priesthood" and "Truth Will Prevail" and a marriage book: "Love and Respect". It's fun to have someone to "report" in!

Sara Lyn said...

Mona - Someone interviewed J.K. Rowling and the interviewer said something like she wished she had more time to read. JKR commented something like the interviewer must not be a true reader because she (JKR) read at every possible moment that she could. I am one of those. So the gym, the bus, the train, all of those would be great reading places to me. :) I'll have to look into those books you are reading. I'm rereading Brad Wilcox's "The Continuous Atonement" right now and am loving it just as much as I did the first time. I'm also reading a marriage book called something like "The Science of Marriage" and it is very interesting. Thanks for your report! :)

Seth said...

I've read about 5 books the entire year, so I'm not doing so hot. We all enjoyed The Ordinary Princess though.

Sara Lyn said...

Seth - With your schedule, I would say 5 is pretty good. And I'm glad you liked The Ordinary Princess. That is one of my all-time favorites. I wish there were more books like that!