Friday, January 1, 2010

A Book Challenge

As recommended by my bishop, I have been thinking of New Year's Resolutions all week. I have set a few worthy goals in hopes of improving myself this year. I've been praying about it and hope they're the goals Heavenly Father wants me to set.

On a related subject, my friend and I participated in a book challenge last year where we read books to fulfill all sorts of different and sometimes difficult categories. This year, we were unable to find a reading challenge we liked, so we came up with one. Anyone who would like to participate is welcome. I know most people don't have the time or inclination to read like I do. You could always cut out the A - Z part of the challenge. Without further ado...

2010 Reading Challenge – First book to count for any category has to be a new book to you. Rereads only count after you’ve completed the category.

.10 Points (Meaning 1/10 of a point)

1) Picture books

.5 Points (Meaning 1/2 a point)

1) Easy reader books/children's books under 100 pages

5 Points

1) Author to match every letter of the alphabet (Last names, that is. And 5 points for every book.)
a.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.
g.
h.
i.
j.
k.
l.
m.
n.
o.
p.
q.
r.
s.
t.
u.
v.
w.
x. You get a free five points for x. 15 points if you actually find an author whose last name starts with x. :)
y.
z.
2) Retold fairy tale
3) A book written between 1951 and 2009
4) Throwaway category – Any book that doesn’t fit in any other category.

10 Points
1) A book you own you haven’t read yet
2) A book with a body of water in the title (river, ocean, lake…)
3) A book with a Title in the title (The Count of Monte Cristo)
4) A book with a plant in the title (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn)
5) A book set in a place you’ve wanted to visit/have visited
6) A book with a movie adaptation. Then watch the movie.
7) A book written between 1776 and 1850.
8) A book written between 1851 and 1900.
9) A book written between 1901 and 1950.
10) A book about war.

15 Points
1) A book from the London Times' Best Books of the Decade list. (Can look at either http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/262697-london-times-best-books-of-the-decade
or
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/book_reviews/article6914181.ece)
2) A book about science
3) A book about American History
4) A book about language/writing
6) A book by a Goodreads author
7) A book written in 2010.

25 Points
1) A book with over 600 pages
2) A book you’ve been meaning to read for years (maybe have even started), but haven’t gotten around to finishing yet.
3) A book about a political figure/politics
4) A book written before 1776.



Perhaps I'll start updating you if I read particularly interesting or amazing books. No promises. I hate writing my opinions about books/movies down. My thoughts on such things change as I change... We'll see.

6 comments:

Kaylynn said...

I love what you said about how your opinion changes as you change. So true!

Unknown said...

I've never heard of book challenges! It sounds like fun. Count me in! :)

Amy G. said...

Wow. If I sign up for this book challenge it could totally replace my time wasted on the computer. Hmm...

Sara Lyn said...

Kaylynn - Glad you agree. :)

Amanda - Sweet! Keep me updated! I've just finished making up my list of what I plan on reading for each category. Of course, I'll probably end up reading several books in some of the categories, but it's just a way to get extra points. :) We do like to try and finish all the categories, but you're not restricted to one book per category.

Amy - Do it! I'd love to get book ideas for you.

Ramona Zabriskie said...

Can I share this with our R.S. Reading Group this Tuesday? They will LOVE it!

Sara Lyn said...

Aunt Mona - Please share! You can refer them to my site or just copy the list and hand it out. I would love to know what other people are reading. Always looking for the best books. :) This year I've picked books specifically to challenge me. It's like going back to school, except harder. I have no one to answer to!