Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Some good jazz

I'm not a jazz connoisseur (which I didn't even come close to spelling correctly. Oi) or anything, but I think this is some great jazz. Or at least very nice-to-listen-to jazz. (Like I said. Not a connoisseur. Forgive my ignorance.)



The funny thing about this song is I don't always agree with its sentiments. Sometimes this is the answer and sometimes the answer is "It's okay to cry today." But this music makes me smile. A bit reminiscent (which I did spell correctly - hooray! I know. It's not that hard a word) of Glenn Miller to me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As an ammuchur jazz connisooer, might I humbly suggest Karrin Allyson as a really fun singer and Earl Hines as a delightful pianist.

ldsjaneite said...

It's funny. You're the second person I've heard who doesn't agree with "smile." But I've always heard this song as an irony. It's MEANT to help you cry because the singer KNOWS that you need to cry. But it's just reminding you as you cry--when those tears are ever so near (and for me that means they're already flowing!)--that you're going to make it through it all.

Maybe I interpreted it wrong. But it's how I've thought of it Nat"s version, and why I think Josh's is my favorite, because it's hard for me to not cry while listening, even when I'm happy! :-)

Have you heard Hilary Weeks' "Just Let Me Cry"--it comes right out and says it's OK to cry.

Sara Lyn said...

Morgan - :)

Heidi - I can see your interpretation of the song. I'm more of a literalist. (Never could get along with poetry very well. It tends to go right over my head. What I don't know about poetry... Well, you know the old saying.) I think what got to me is people have told me similar things to what is in the song and meant them. I actually agree that sometimes if we focus on the positive/just smile, things really do start looking up. But not always. Whichever way I take it, I still enjoy the song. And this version of it makes me smile.