Saturday, January 23, 2010

Male and Female

Morgan and I read Genesis 1:27 at the beginning of this week. "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he them; male and female created he them." (In Moses 2:27, we get a slight clarification: "And I, God, created man in mine own image, in the image of mine Only Begotten created I him; male and female created I them.") But the part I want to focus on in "male and female created he them."

One of the books I've been reading (in this case, rereading) this week is Dr. Laura's "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands." Now, I've heard all sorts of reactions to this book, but mine are almost completely positive. I first read the book when I was a newlywed and thought, "Well, duh. I know all this." It's been a really good experience reading the book again this week to remind and motivate myself to be a better wife. Dr. Laura brings out a very important point. Males and females are different and should act/be treated thus.

It discourages me to hear women talk of their husbands in degrading terms as happens all to often. Dr. Laura proclaims that if a woman will take responsibility and treat her husband well, like a man, he will respond like the good man he is (barring of course the exceptions of abuse, addiction and adultery). Let me encourage all wives to read/reread this book, even if you're a good wife. It won't hurt to hear man's praises sung, as well they should be. I found it inspiring and motivational even though I was thinking I was being a great wife. I found ways I could improve and make my husband happier which, in turn, makes me happier.



To happy marriage - we can do it!

2 comments:

Mona said...

Sara Lyn! I have a class called "Romance 101 and 201 and 301" that I teach RS groups and it incorporates some of the principles in this book. I promise everyone they work! Check out Monas Musings this week to see how well! www.monasmusings.com

Sandee Spencer said...

Sarah I loved this book as well and in fact it was one of our book club books. We even had a special dinner to honor Dr. Laura where we ate her favorite foods.

I read your comment on Ramona's blog and just wanted to share that the woman that made the comment about how you were missing your husband because you hadn't been married long (it was said in jest and I agree we should probably be more positive and not kid about such things) does a wonderful job of living this book. When I first met her I was most impressed by how she constantly tells people how wonderful her husband is and goes into great detail about all the wonderful service he gives to her and the family. We have known each other for years and she still continually praises her husband to everyone she speaks.

One of our favorite parts of book club is at the very end (we always end by 9 but last night were done early at 8:30) when we each share happy news from our lives. We find that sharing sorrows often comes naturally so we make a point of sharing our joys with one another before we all head for home. It's like the happy explanation point of an evening of sharing the information and ideas from the book we've all read and then sharing our friendship and joys.

Hope you can stay longer next time.