Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Just Stuff

I've really enjoyed the discussion from my last post. I hope if you haven't gone back to read the comments, you'll go back and read through them. Very interesting!

Second, a girl I accompany for sings this song:



It has a fantastic piano part and is one of my favorite songs to play. I've never heard it sung as a duet (although that's how it was written). Hope you enjoy.

Third, Morgan and I had a long discussion last night that started with the philosophical question "If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there, does it make a sound?" His answer was originally no and mine was originally yes. We decided it all came down to definition. Morgan's definition of sound was sound waves hitting your eardrum. My definition was sound is anything that could be heard. This got us into that old question I've brought up here before. Do we really see and hear the same things? And after much talking and disagreement, this is what I took away. (I'm not sure if Morgan is actually convinced.) :) Again, it all comes down to definition. To me, hearing is how our brain interprets the information of sound. Therefore, since people's brains are slightly different based on all kinds of things (composition from things like gender, hormones, experience, training) then they would process things differently. Not to mention different amounts of deafness. Wouldn't that then produce a different hearing?

Same thing with seeing. The same information is presented to all of us, but our brain interprets things differently. Take a blind person who has eyes. The same information hits their eyes. Or someone who only has one eye and therefore messed up depth perception. Or that study that says that cats raised in a round room will never be able to see straight lines. The way we see things depends on lots of things.

Could even be extended to feeling. Take a blind person again. How they feel is different from how I feel things.

Am I explaining this in any kind of a clear way? Probably not. Can you see my point? Do I need to explain more? (Morgan and I talked for quite a while.) What do you think?

6 comments:

Seth said...

It "makes a sound" because it has potential to be heard. That's my thoughts on the matter. :)

Sara Lyn said...

Yay! I'm glad you agree. :)

ldsjaneite said...

First, I've never heard that song before, but I loved the guy's part. It made me smile.

Second, I think I got what you were saying. I think things are seen and heard depending on the person who sees and hears it, thus allowing for the different reactions and interpretations. It is fun to know that we can learn to see and hear things differently. For example, I don't hate ALL country music now, just as there is some opera I have learned to understand and love. Of course, we have to beware of the opposite use--subjecting ourselves to those things that are not uplifting will teach our brains to react and interpret it differently.

And this could apply to more than just things we see or hear. As my degree was in information--how we receive, interpret, and find it, well...I could go into a lot more depth with this. But I won't tire your eyes more than I do with my lengthy comments! :-) I understand lengthy conversations about it.

Mona said...

Vely intelesting......have to think about it to decide who's side I'm on...

Kristy Lynne said...

You know, it is interesting that all things have a wave around them. So technically the tree is always making a sound, you are just unable to perceive it.

I definitely agree that what is heard, seen, felt, and smelled are different for everyone. Sooo true. Once you have training in something it is impossible to completely see it as you did when you first began. Your senses are heightened and your neurons attach different emotions, images, sounds, smells and such to that experience. It's cool.

Anonymous said...

I remember thinking about this as a kid. . . . what if what I see and define as red is actually seen as blue to someone else, but they call it red? It's perception.
Extending beyond that . . . reality doesn't exist for the masses beyond perception. Reality is defined by perception. It is defined by the perceptions of those who experience or witness life or what is deemed "real".
It's abstract . . and goes in circles - but it's fun to conceptualize it.