Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Some projects

So I think most of you know that I like to crochet. I decided to post some pictures of a couple of my blankets. I know I have better pictures of them elsewhere, but these are all I could find at the moment, so here goes. This is a yellow blanket I made. You work from corner to corner, so there's that nice diagonal feel.

Here's so you can see the texture a little better. (Click on it. It gets better and you can really see it.) Isn't that lovely? My mom's friend taught me how to do this particular blanket and it's the best. It's fast. It's easy. And look how nice it is.

I got a request to do some blue stripes, so here's my first attempt at stripes. I learned a lot from doing this blanket. So it's not my best blanket, but if I made another striped one, I think I could do a lot better. However, to distract from the shoddiness, I put a baby in the picture. Voila. The blanket looks pretty good too.


By the way, we're protecting the name of this baby, so don't even ask. He's a doll, though, no? Currently, this picture is the background on my desktop. Every time I notice it, I get distracted for a few minutes looking at the perfection of him.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Oh my heck, Sara Lyn! I wish you'd teach me how to do the stitch on the top yellow blanket.

By the way, this last Christmas I made a half a dozen scarves, and everyone kept complimenting me. There was even one woman at work who tried to commission one (of course, as a gesture of good will, I made it for the cost of yarn.).

I think of all the different things I've made--blankets, scarves, baby booties, even a failed attempt to make a sweater--and I feel really grateful that you taught me how to crochet all those years ago. It's been a skill of which I've been most appreciative.

Sara Lyn said...

I'll be in town this summer during July and August. I've already told another girl I'll tell her how to do it. Maybe I should just hold a class. How does Aug 1 sound?

I'm way jealous of baby booties. Will you teach me how to make those?

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Wow! That's awesome! I LOVE them!!
I'm still kind of stuck on my one-and-only know-how stitch.
(sigh) Will I ever do another project as long as my kids live?

Svedi Pie said...

If you really do have a crocheting party I'm so in. I love the diagonal design - it is lovely. And that little baby is a doll. In a few years I might have to request one from you :)

ldsjaneite said...

These are lovely. And they reminded me that in spite of my 9 months' warning--I completely forget to make my new niece her blanket! Quick--do I have time in 10 days to learn the diagonal one so it's ready when I meet her?!

That baby is adorable. And baby booties? I made them once--only because I used the wrong size knitting needles when I was making adult slippers. They were cute--blue and white. BYU, of course.

And so not fair that we will miss each other on our trips to UT.

Kaylynn said...

The baby is a doll--a beautiful one. Babies can make anything seem perfect, except maybe a goodnight sleep!

Mandy said...

The close-up of the yellow one looks so nice and soft--Tapa was impressed too :)

The baby is beautiful. Our baby boy has the same carseat--kinda fun. These projects are great. Crocheting is so relaxing and I love how there are such pretty soft yarns out there. Maybe you can show me a few things when we're visiting sometime?

Sara Lyn said...

Mrs. Tapa - you've got it right. That blanket is very soft. I never liked afghans as a kid because they were always scratchy. Once I discovered soft yarn, I really loved to crochet. :) I'd love to show you some stuff whenever you're up here. It's always fun for me to "talk crochet."