Tuesday, January 1, 2013

HM&SL 2013 Book Challenge

We have 12 categories this year:

Science fiction/Fantasy
Books made into movies/musicals
Travel books/books set in a country you've never been
Nonfiction
Mystery
History (can be historical fiction)
Award winners/nominees
Recommended by...
Classics
Adult fiction by an author you've never read before
Religious
Other

Rules:
1. Each book must be at least 100 pages to count.
2. The first four books in a category are worth 10 points. The rest are worth 5.
3. Any book you own is worth double points. (We're both library readers and want to whittle down our stack of unread books that we own.)
4. Any books on your goodreads "to-read" list is worth double points.

I'm excited for this year's challenge because while it's less books to read than our previous challenges, more of these categories out challenging to me. Plus, I'm trying to read at least one book I own plus one book from my to-read list in each category. Should be fun!

By the way, I reported on last year's challenge in my previous post. Check it out.

9 comments:

Hannah Richins Beck said...

Saralyn,

I think I am going to join your challenge. I want to learn a lot this year, and WILL, but I am excited.

My husband and in-laws love the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Warning: It is a 13 book long series so far, he has at least one more in the series to go. And I hear they are so well written that it is hard to put them down. Now, having said that, and not being an avid reader (yet), I have decided that I want to start with the first one and see where it takes me. I am not a huge fan of Fantasy (which is what this series is), but I guess I will give it a try.

P.S. Happy New Years!

Sara Lyn said...

Hannah! It would be fun to have you participate. Just let me know occasionally how things are going. Talking about it with people keeps me motivated.

I just heard of the Desden Files series (where have I been for the last 13 books? Under a rock?) and now that I've heard of from many sources, maybe I'll take a look at it.

Happy New Years to you, too!

ldsjaneite said...

So, question. If I read a book that I own that is also on my To-Read list, does that mean I can earn 40 points if it's one of the first four?!?

Sara Lyn said...

Heidi - I say absolutely!!!

ldsjaneite said...

OK, how about this scenario:
When I start to read the book, I own the copy (most likely an advanced publication copy). That copy may go to another person after I'm done reading. I may never see the copy again afterwards. Does that still count as me owning it?

Sara Lyn said...

Heidi - I say go with whatever makes you feel good. I don't care either way. :) If that helps you move towards you're goal, I'm all over you getting more points!

ldsjaneite said...

Woohoo--thanks! I'm going to count it as owning it, because at the time, I did. Besides, I went through all the trouble of flying myself to Seattle and lugging around bags of books and paying to ship half of those books home. I totally deserve points! :-)

ldsjaneite said...

OK. Another question. With the "books made into movies/musicals," should we try to watch the movie or musical of the book we read if we have never seen it yet? I just finished a book that I forgot was made into a movie. However, juding from how I didn't like the book, I'm not sure about watching the movie. Extra points there, or just ignore it and stick with reading in our READING challenge?

Sara Lyn said...

I'd say watching the movie is extra points, but not a must if the movie's not one you want to watch.