Thursday, November 8, 2012

Internet quotes

So we just saw a quote attributed to Shakespeare that does not sound very much like the Shakespeare we know. (It is beautiful, though.)

Time is very slow for those who wait
Very fast for those who are scared
very long for those who lament
Very short for those who celebrate
But for those who love time is eternal.


There is a similar quote by Henry Van Dyke:

Time is too slow for those who wait,
too swift for those who fear,
too long for those who grieve,
too short for those who rejoice,
but for those who love, time is eternity.


Does anyone KNOW if that first quote is really by Shakespeare? I want a source for the quote. I actually like Van Dyke's better anyway, but that's beside the point. We just don't think that the first one sounds very Shakespearean.

2 comments:

Becky said...

My Dear Sara Lyn,

From everything I've read, it's been attributed erroneously to Bill Shakespeare. Van Dyke's quote is correct.

Please check out the following:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Shakespeare-3004/2012/5/shakespeare-46.htm

It might shed some light on the subject.

PS. Yeah. It sounds N-O-T-H-I-I-N-G like the Bard.

Sara Lyn said...

Thanks, Beck. Morgan and I were both like, "Shakespeare. Really. Uh, huh. Um... Sure does NOT sound like him." :) I like the Van Dyke version better anyway.