Friday, March 11, 2011

Mr. Martin and the Banjo

I don't know if I have mentioned that I love the banjo. Well, now I have I guess. My great-grandfather played the banjo and now several of my family members do. So, what does this have to do with Steve Martin? I'll tell you.

I saw a clip of Steve Martin on the Muppet Show. He was holding a banjo and I thought it looked like he was really playing it. Sure enough, he was. I had no idea, but he's actually been playing the banjo for a very long time. Here are some of my favorite videos.

This first is of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown." The BYU Folk Dance Team's band (I think) played a version of this when I was a kid. I had no idea what it was called, but I was delighted to hear it again.



So then I found this one.



And then this. Check out Noam Pikelny's face near the end. :)

3 comments:

amy said...

I've never really liked Steve Martin all that much but I have just gained some respect for this guy. :))

Seth said...

I tried finding good banjo music online once and couldn't, but now here it is.

ldsjaneite said...

I don't like some of Steve Martin's humor, but overall I've been impressed by his talents. I believe he has CDs of some of his music.